RCU Forums - View Single Post - 3d printed Bailey bridge
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 12:12 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts
Default 3d printed Bailey bridge

I have been busy working on a 3d CAD design to build my own 1/16th scale World War 2 Bailey Bridge. I’ve gone through some trial and error, some dead ends, and two spools of plastic, but it’s starting to take shape. I have two sections completed now, with a third still being built, planning to make it into 7 or 8 sections when complete.

It’s close to true dimensions, although I did widen it a bit so my Abrams and Leopard 2A6 will be able to use it. It also assembles and deploys just like the real ones, so it can be put together is various ways to give longer spans and/or heavier loads using center supports and/or extra truss panels.

I’m still working out some details of the design, but it’s getting close. Still need to work out the details of the approach ramps, and the fastening system for stacking the truss panels up vertically for handling heavier loads. Researching old pictures and manuals to get that info.

The only fasteners in the whole thing are 3 mm pins at the truss panel joints, and 2 mm screws in the top brace. Everything else snaps into place. It can be stored in a box, then set up somewhere, then taken down and put back into the box, ready for next time. It can also be transported to the building site in 1/16th scale RC trucks. The real test, once it’s built, will be if it holds up a 1/16th scale RC tank.

I’m busy churning out parts now, but by the time the snow is melted here, I should have a new bridge to star in some tank movies. I might even take it to a club battle somewhere. It is portable…

The following 2 users liked this post by Pah co chu puk:
Ex_Pat_Tanker (03-15-2021), ksoc (03-26-2021)