RCU Forums - View Single Post - Effects of out of trim control surfaces
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2021, 07:12 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by AA5BY
I've recently completed a build that incorporated independent incidence adjusters for each of the wing panels. It now as eleven flights with adjustments made between the flights. The maiden flight required several clicks and about 3/32 of up elevator trim for level flight. Knife edge had serious tuck to canopy making knife edge extremely difficult.

As the adjusters have been trimmed between flights to give positive incidence and reduce elevator trim, knife edge flight has increasingly gotten better with reduced amounts of canopy tuck. Now, nearly having reached neutral elevator, knife edge tuck is about gone, allowing easy knife edge horizon to horizon.

As well, in the past I've noted that significant elevator trim causes a variance in trim between power off and on. If the elevator is trimmed down, landing glide slope is generally too steep and conversely if the elevator is trimmed up, landing glide slope is too shallow. When the elevator is neutral, landing glide slope is generally good with landings requiring little pitch control

What are your observations/experiences regarding non neutral control surfaces? Do you sense them to be a problem? Do you try to neutralize them?

You have just taken your first step down the yellow brick road. For more trimming " secrets " take a look at the CK Aero website. A few tidbits to be found.