RCU Forums - View Single Post - NiMh Condition Testing
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2021, 05:46 AM
golf4two

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default NiMh Condition Testing

Slowly converting all of my old NiMh packs (eneloop 1900 ma packs mostly) to Life packs. But with 14 airplanes and a few "spare" packs, that can get a bit expensive if done all at once.((and at my age may do nothing more than make my estate sale more attractive!)).
Anyway, my question is:
What is a "reasonable" discharge rate to set when cycling these old packs to test their overall condition?
Yeah, I know the old advice to "charge, fly a few flights, recharge and that will tell you how many flights you can get."
That's NOT what I'm after. I want to know before hand their condition as some of these packs have been laying around a while.
I've been charging at 200 ma and discharging at 300 ma. Results sometimes (on the same pack) don't seem realistic (low or high). If it makes any difference, it's an Hitec X4 80charger which has been pretty reliable over the years.
Again, I wish to determine the condition of the packs, not how many flights I can get.
Also, what would a realistic cutoff voltage be for a 4 cell and a 5 cell pack?

Last edited by golf4two; 04-03-2021 at 08:25 AM. Reason: corrected charger ident