RCU Forums - View Single Post - 5 Short Words
Thread: 5 Short Words
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 08:03 AM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Agree. LE can only enforce what's codified in law or regulation. At the state and local level they can lawfully limit the land from which they're operated. They can do things like zoning and such, which is actually pretty powerful. All it would take is for states and municipalities to say that FRIAs need to be in areas zoned for them, and then grant those permits are conditioned such that operations are confined to the lateral limits of the zoning permit. That would go a long way toward alleviating complaints from neighbors etc. As for public land, one could easily establish much the same. As for privately owned property, add ordinances that say sUAS operations must be confined to the limits of that property. They add new things like that all the time. For example, my local gvt added ordnance that actually gives them the authority to come onto my property to address sick trees. That's applicable not just to new properties, but existing ones as well.

Things like that keep everyone happy. They drive those flying to appropriate locations, yet give neighbors a tool to help keep a lid on those who don't respect others' land/privacy. That also gives local governments and LE something to enforce that doesn't step on FAA's authority.
I agree completely! The community organizations really should have more of an education and outreach role, the feds should establish some uniform and consistent policies and guidelines, and the local governments should set local boundaries and take care of enforcement. It's a clear division of responsibilities that is mutually self supporting.