RCU Forums - View Single Post - Yes, another Kougar CG question!
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 06:40 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

The reality is just get it close and then adjust according to how the airplane is flying. This applies to every airplane. There is nothing different about a Kougar that requires some sort of magical CG. If you are really interested in dialing it in I would be more then happy to get more specific but it will require several hours of work. If you are willing to rework a few things.

The first step of course is to get the CG right. The flight test for that is to pull to a 45 degree climb at full throttle and roll inverted. Watch what the airplane does hands off. If it holds the inverted 45 degree line you are a tad too aft. If it steepens the line you are way aft and it will most likely be too sensitive on the elevator as well. What you are looking for is about a 5 to 7 second arc to inverted level. Since you most likely have the wing set at zero degrees incidence it will most likely be closer to 5 seconds due to the up elevator trim you need to dial in to get the required positive AOA on the wing to trim out in level flight. With this CG position adjust the elevator throw and expo to suit the sensitivity you like. Never adjust CG to reduce pitch sensitivity once you have the CG set as per above.

In reference to the few hours work I mentioned earlier. The plans have you building the airplane with everything set to zero if I am not mistaken. Many sport and pattern airplanes of that era were. A better setup would be the engine set to zero up or down thrust but a tad of right. The wing set to 3/4 positive degree and the stab at zero. This way the wing has its positive AOA to generate lift and the fuselage is level and the need for up trim is eliminated. This makes knife edge, inverted and vertical much easier. Without the positive incidence all of those will pull to the canopy.
The following 2 users liked this post by speedracerntrixie:
hugger-4641 (07-19-2021), thailazer (05-28-2021)