RCU Forums - View Single Post - Airplane trimming - climbs on full throttle, falls on partly throttle
Old 05-25-2021, 11:34 PM
MrRover75

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Airplane trimming - climbs on full throttle, falls on partly throttle

Hi all, and greetings from Norway!

Pretty new to this forum, but have been building and flying since the mid -90`s, mostly with that times conventional .40 size glow models built from kits. Have had a longer "break" for 14 years now and are starting to get many of my old models back up in the air together with a few new ones.
I recently got hold of a TT Sport Flyer 40L ARF which was put together with an OS 46FX and had its maiden flight a few days ago. This model has a bad tendency to really climb/ pulls its nose up on full throttle and I had to apply a good amount of down elevator trim to get a level flight. On the other hand, the nose drops pretty much when pulling the throttle back to 1/2 - 1/3 and more up elevator trim are needed to get a level flight. I have to admit that this tendency is seen on most of my models to a degree, but not as much as on this model.
So then my question: What is the best way to trim away this tendency? The CG is set spot on where the manual states it should be. My first thought is that more down thrust to the engine is needed to compensate for this. Am I right, or does the CG also affects this tendency? I tried to add Throttle -> elevator trim to the radio, but it does not work that smooth as there is always some "lag" between the throttle output and throttle position, making the model "jump" when pulling down from full throttle before achieving level flight. Not to happy with this model at the moment, but guess the bad tendency should be solved by proper trimming? Appreciate all input on this issue