RCU Forums - View Single Post - Building a scale 1973 Pay'N Pak from plans
Old 06-06-2021, 09:15 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Just got to thinking. I have one sponson inside and one engine bay wall ready to go. Assuming both sides come out about the same, I can take the weights off of the first two and double them for the time being and, if they aren't that close, update the weight later. What I measured the engine bay sidewall at is 4.85 ounces or 136 grams. The sponson inside weighs 5.3 ounces or 150 grams. That gives me a total of 10.15 ounces or 286 grams so, when I double it, I get 20.3 ounces or 572 grams. To keep this simple, I'm going to set up an Excel spread sheet so that I can keep track of the weight of wood, epoxy and hardware as I go. Should be interesting to see how it all breaks down when the build is complete. Since my goal is to be under 12 lbs (5.45Kg), it should be fun to see how close I get. One thing I do need to be very aware of is the back half of the boat has a lot of what can be called "dead weight" This includes the cockpit with all it's details and driver, tails and wing structures, all but the driver being visible in the picture in the previous post. To run properly, the boat needs to balance 1-2 inches(2.54-5.08cm) behind the sponsons so the weight at the back must be kept to a minimum or extra ballast will be needed up front to balance the boat

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 06-06-2021 at 09:28 PM.