RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 08:18 AM
Glowgeek

Received 65 Likes on 65 Posts

Yeah, that cam is hammered pretty good. Not as bad as the used 115 I got though. That cam was troughed all the way around the nose. Worst cam I've ever seen! That said, obviously the used engine I received was run on Coolpower 100% synthetic oil, as evidenced by the green tinge to all of the internal components. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that 100% synthetic oil caused the problem. Could have been over revved or the lash could have been poorly maintained, or both. Or Coolpower is crap fuel, as many have said. Or 115's have cam oiling problems as some have stated. Hard to say because I've not run a 115 long enough to make a proper assessment.

Truth is, I'd probably never see excessive cam/tappet wear with any engine I own due to my religious use of after run oil. All my engines get a 5-7cc dose of ATF at the end of every flying session. I shoot it in through the vent, rotate the plane around to different positions to distribute the ATF and go chat with the boys for a few minutes while the excess drains out. Then I put a starter on it, spin it up to blow the rest out and put the plane back in the truck. Grab another plane and off I go again. How would I know if a particular engine has cambox oiling problems? Don't want to know!

Last edited by Glowgeek; 06-15-2021 at 08:37 AM.