RCU Forums - View Single Post - O.S. Engines FR5-300 Sirius partial teardown
Old 06-22-2021, 09:34 PM
ptxman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LightningFan, sorry to hear about your shop loss. That must have been devastating. I landed on your post because it is one of the few pictorial teardowns of the radial I have come across. Thanks for posting them. Did you come across any similar links of overhauls or repairs to this or similar glow radials?

I'm specifically wondering about engine lubrication. If I understand it correctly, intake charge enters from the carb in rear, impinges on master rod & connecting rod assembly. And then out the rear induction tubes to respective head. But I think some portion of fuel mist caries forward through the crankcase, through those aperture holes in the nose plate & lubricates the cam gears, cam plates & valve lifter assembly contained within the nose case chamber. The OS drawing doesn't quite have the parts exploded in their respective order but I tried to illustrate with sketch. Blue lines represents the (oil premix) fuel. Does this look reasonable to you? If so I have some questions, but will save unless I'm barking up the wrong tree.