RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli SBD-3 Dauntless build
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 08:25 PM
BatteryBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Progress today - sanding the wings. I wish I had the air source to power a air knife/orbital sander like boB. I used the long dura-block sanding bar.

I have a few low spots that need to be filled. Mostly looking good. It's hard to believe the wings look this good based on the disaster at the start. Some times it best to just hang in there. Except when it comes to the canopy frame layup that I made. I'm pretty sure I will need to redo that one, using 3 layers of 3oz crowsfoot FG (again, stealing from boB). I think I'd also like to try a release spray over the saran wrap.

The cut lines for the gear bezel/flange. The gear will need to be installed for the horizontal cut line. I think I'm done with the wheel wells for now.

Thin G10 was used to box out the small chutes. All my SBD scale pictures show that these chutes are flush so I'll sand the G10 smooth. I'd also like to close the gap on the fuselage/wing joint and make the transition a little smoother.

The fuselage will get the sanding bar treatment next. I have a few bubbles to fix.