RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli SBD-3 Dauntless build
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 09:44 AM
BatteryBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally starting on some panel lines. Again, following bpotter and boB over on RCSB.

I'm using the Douglas SBD Dauntless book by Mariusz Łukasik for panel line reference. It's not challenging scaling off of 1:48 prints, but it could be a source of error. I'm working in mm.

The book in question

I also noticed, as bpotter referenced, the top side mail box/windows are should be about the same size, top vs. bottom based on my references. So that would make the top windows too large. I doubt that I'll do anything about that. I'm not sure what other scale issues exist on the Ziroli version, so why worry about this one is my thought.

Back to the panel lines - I'm also using the yellow icing. My first experience with it and it seems very similar to Easycoat.

I used 4 layers like boB recommends. It takes some practice regarding sanding while the icing sets up.

boB provides a nice step by step for how he builds the panels. I used a small detail sander to rough in the icing, followed by medium and fine sanding (sponge) blocks.