RCU Forums - View Single Post - First time speeder needs help
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2003, 01:44 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First time speeder needs help

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

I want to put a racer together. No racing at my club- but I just want to try it out.

Should I get the GP Viper 500 or the Lanier Predator?

I have an OS 46FX for power. Is this too much for either of these planes? I'd like to run a tuned(not muffled) pipe on the plane for max HP and speed if possible.

Is it okay to use JR4721 servos on it? Do I need to get mini servos? What size RX batteries are you using? 6V? 4.8V? NiCd or NiMH?

Do I need a bubbless tank? Do you set it on the CG or right behind the firewall?

Any other advice for a first time speed freak would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rcpilet,

Check out this thread for discussion on batteries: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...tm.htm#1251673

You do not need to use mini servos but it would make the radio gear installation easier. If you're just looking to go fast and not actually race against anybody, I'd just use whatever radio gear you have lying around. As for the JR 4721s--aren't these what they call "High Torque" servos? If so, I believe they are very pricy servos. I'd save these for that 1/4 scale Laser or Cap and just use standard servos in the Q500.

Be advised however that using standard radio gear will put the plane well above 4 lbs. It'll still fly great but we racers are always putting our planes on a weight loss "diet". That's why we use small batteries and mini servos.

***edit above URL***