RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli 1/7 (120") B-25 B scale build
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2021, 09:06 PM
rossmick

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, it has been just about a year since the 25 was put up on the shelf one more time. As I had decided on electric for the 25 due to numerous gas engine failures and lost aircraft, I made a serious effort to get to know the plus and minus of using electric power. What I have determined is that a large aircraft has a real problem with the battery weight that is required for the larger electric motors (10s or 12s 5500 mAH minimum). So after modifying several larger aircraft to electric, I am now planning on going back to gas for the 25. This time using twin cylinder engines to reduce the vibration of the original larger single cylinder DA 50s, which I now have two still in the box. I have just finished my first flight with my test bed aircraft using the RCGF 40 twin and I believe it will be the engine of choice. It is lighter than the 50s, will fit inside the cowls and runs very smooth. Will also start watching my overall weight of the build for the slight reduction in total power.
The doors I cut in to the nacelles for batteries will now be used to hold the refueling points and ignition switches for the engine and access to the fuel tanks.
Shop was also upgraded to an air-conditioner in the wall and the second build table relocated so I can work from both sides for this large build.
The virus cancelled flying for me for almost a year as I had fellow members who were not abiding by the simple safety rules set by the club which made flying problematic. I am 76 and would like to go to 106 so staying away and getting the shots was the answer for me. Luckily, only lost several members over the year, but did have five additional fiends and neighbors die from the virus. However, not flying allowed the many home projects that needed to be done get accomplished - I would rather be flying.
So the build resumes, hopefully by next spring, or summer, the 25 will be in the air.