RCU Forums - View Single Post - Heng Long's 2021 Release: Merkava
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2021, 07:41 PM
tankme

Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Making sprockets fit a different tank is just a matter of figuring it out. If shaft fit is impossible, then swapping the transmissions out is the ultimate answer, not super easy since they have different mounts but not impossible either.
Has nothing to do with the transmissions for the Hooben ZTZ even though they are a dual flat type shaft and discounting the Hooben mounting holes don't line up with HL gearboxes. I'm aware there are different length gearbox shafts and if it were simply a matter of making one shorter or getting a longer one, that would already be done as I have many transmissions sitting around that I've pulled out of other tanks. I've built custom mounts for non-standard gearboxes. Sprockets and tracks are too wide to fit under the track skirts before even being mounted on any shaft. I have no desire to cut the track skirts off. Even if I did cut the skirts off it would mean the road wheels would need to be extended out further to mesh with the guide teeth of the track. The plastic Hooben suspension arms are already so flimsy that pushing the wheels further out would only cause them more issues. Tried HL Leo sprockets, my HL Abrams tracks/sprockets, and the metal ZTZ HL tracks/sprockets. Even with those sprockets pressed right against the inner hull, they still touch the track skirts. The only sprockets I have that look like they could be close to working are the even the T-72 metal HL tracks/sprockets as they are the thinnest of the bunch. Unfortunately those are the ones I've never seen used on a ZTZ-99A version of the tank. I've only seen the ZTZ-99 Chinese tracks or the Leo/Chally rubber track style. I tried every combo of my metal sprocket options to see if they would work with the stock nylon Hooben track and non of them would mesh right or were the right width. Tamiya Leo sprockets are a no go also as they don't fit HL or Hooben shafts.

So...as you can tell I decided that it will be running on it's stock plastic/nylon tracks and running gear at this point.
The following users liked this post:
herrmill (08-29-2021)