RCU Forums - View Single Post - Vintage Tamiya Porsche 956 and Associated RC12L brought back to life
Old 09-19-2021, 02:31 PM
aesalazar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krispy378
Thats a nice ride... Yellow Sanyos with red lettering are an excellent example of vintage RC surely. My front tires were similar to yours before i replaced them, and yes they just shredded themselves. The rear motor brace looks stock to me...I didnt know that the T-Bar plate was the white color fiberglass one, like my car, included with the RC12LW, graphite kit...I thought the whole chassis was graphite? Btw, i am not an expert, just observing🙂 I see that its setup with 4 cells and the Tekin ESC. Both the Tamiya Porsche 956 and my RC12L were assembled with 6 cells, and looking back at that, they almost seemed way too powerful. It was / is very easy to loop out with a careless pull of the throttle trigger. I recently installed a new mechanical ESC resistor on the Porsche 956. Set the height of the contacts etc...The action is very linear to full throttle and the brake works nicely as well. Again i have to be careful with the throttle trigger, too much brake and WAZOO! Full throttle reverse action kicks in and totally upsets the car, haha! That RC12L of yours should become an awesome vintage ride for you. Hope you have a great time doing it....freddy
Ya, I am pretty sure it is all stock. Yep, I always thought it was weird that they did change the T brace to graphite as well. It does match the manual:

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...anuals_setups/

As for the cells, IIRC back then 4 was a popular option of indoor carpet. Even with only 4 cells it still spins if you hammer the throttle off the line.

Manual ESC? You mean kind with a heat resistor and external heat sink? I remember they were pretty inefficient, no?