RCU Forums - View Single Post - MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2021, 11:15 PM
Detlef Kunkel

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

[QUOTE=Jaketab;12695734]FYI. Can't explain exactly why this pump failed. There is a collet on the motor shaft that engages the pump gears. The collet was spinning freely and not driving the gears. I believe something caused the collet to become detached from the motor shaft ???
There are ball bearings and springs in the pump that possibly act as relief or check valves to recirculate fuel within the pump.
Additionally, when power was applied to the motor while it was installed in the plane, the motor became hot as if stalled or shorted.
After re-assembly, the motor ran freely without overheating, however it would not pump fuel because the motor shaft was not turning the gears. I yield to the experts.

Jake,
maybe something blocks or has blocked the gears. Maybe some dirt particles, or maybe the fitting inside the housing is too tight. Once I saw a gear with a bad runout. It stuck in the housing when centered on the shaft. This could have caused the colllet to come loose on the motor shaft.

You can maybe repair this, but I would prefer to replace it. You cannot say how much the motor has already suffered.

Even if you get the gears to run nicely, there is a risk remaining