RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA Bashing is Pointless
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2021, 09:29 AM
PopeyeCharlotte

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by astrohog
I actually DID want to join the AMA when I entered the hobby. I saw it as a worthwhile organization that had actually successfully advocated for modelers (by working with the FCC to protect our AM, FM and HAM frequencies) and were generally held in high regard and respected by everybody, not just modelers.

That is one of the reasons I continue to post in these forums. It's not to be a stick in the mud as I am constantly accused, it is because I want to be able to restore the pride I once had in being an AMA member.

Astro
I'll agree with Astrohog and ECHO24: Generally, I do not get interested in something because of it's advocacy group - but I expect any hobby will have an advocacy group worth joining. (I'm into Triumph cars - and a member of the VTR; I fly RC - and a member of AMA; I am an engineer - and a member of ASME; when I flew I was a member of AOPA. Etc.) Advocacy groups have two purposes, and make them (IMO) worth joining - practical reasons (lobbying, insurance, creation of regulations by experts) as well as social events (Muncie events, square dance contests, etc.). Advocacy groups are not perfect - many examples herein.