RCU Forums - View Single Post - MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2021, 03:42 AM
avio-nico

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tziger
Hi again,

i did a last test today and i have verified the problem.

Thanks to Stuart Mackay's idea (thanks) i have placed a bicycle pump at the tank vent.
First i removed the fuel filter just to be sure that it wasn't it the problem.
I followed the normal starting process and voila. The motor started easily.
Of course you can imagine, i was checking the revs, checking the temps, controlling the throttle and pumping at the same time air in the tank.
When i stopped pumping (and removed the pump) the engine quitted.
I run like this for about 5mins. No3 did not fire but at least the engine was running.
I even managed to go to full throttle with his method which before it was not possible.
After 5 minutes of running this way i got again the festo tube filled with black grease.
I cleaned it and i run it again. Easy to start.

After reading several hours all the thread from the start i realized that in post #1837 from Jim Catanach, he was describing the exact same problem. At the time someone advised him to do first a test with the festo tube long enough to put in the water and see if there is a pulse. He did that he saw no pulse and then he opened the "top" of the housing (i am not sure which housing with no photos) and realized that the small piston was dry. I do not think that in my case the piston is dry since it spits grease but certainly the piston is not functioning properly.
Out of curiosity how do i get to the piston? How do i remove the top of the pulse generator? Is it screwable or i have to remove the front end of the engine? (Which i will not do since the engine is still in warranty).

I conclude with a decision and a question.
I will send the engine back to airworld to be checked and i will buy a fuel pump even if they correct the issue because i have lost confidence in the reliability of this engine. Who tells me that it will run fine and on take off it will not stop? It is supposed to be run at the factory for 15 minutes.

The plane i will put it on is not for this kind of dilemma. This brings to my question. How people feel comfortable having dead sticks with several thousand of dollars on the air? What am i missing?
Jerry Bates Sparta Executive 1/4. 23Kg, Moki180 (i hope) more than 10.000 rivets installed, 5 years of work.
Thank you all,
Lawrence
Lawrence, don't lost trust in reliability, after all it's a new engine and things happen on real aircraft too (I confirm this to you personally).

Probably the internal pump is not working properly due a lack of grease in the crankcase or defect in manufacturing or fod/debris sticking it proper functioning...

Send the engine back to Airworld and ask for a feedback/repair/inspection report (share it with us would be great..).

Once received it back, run again the engine on the bench as you did so far and check for everything is good.

I can imagine your frustration both for money you spent and to be afraid for your model, I don't wanna minimize...

For example, I've been in touch with Dino Di Giorgio asking some information/tips about my S150.
He said to me he is used tu run his Mokis with CH-Ignition in place of the original one and never using an external fuel pump like the APS.

Other people I've been in touch here in Italy said they use their Mokis successfully without CH-Ignition upgrade since these engines' ignition has been upgraded from the top-hat to the blue module...

Hope this his a little helpful to your -much than shareable- frustration.