RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dan's Ziroli P-61 Black Widow
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2021, 09:25 PM
Txmustangflyer

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Ok..first those gear supports..they gotta go. Do a goid rebuild on the mounting. The brass tube in the tire is a new one on me, look to Robart for nive replacements. The retracts themselves look solid. The damage to the rudder looks like a bad Hanger rash accident, internet shouldn't be too bad, but save the pieces, cut new wood, using the old as a pattern. It's a thin area so new wood would be better, some if the servo mounts need attention and just a general re-engineer, to avoid sloppy control feel.
overall though, the prognosis should be good. You are right, you got some work ahead, with some planning towards making her healthy she should be a good scale flyer.
Firewall drill holes, patch with dowels and epoxy, sand smooth, and fill the low spots left then when you remount em, use some good blind nuts and waters to avoid crushing the wood.
couple of months of tlc and you'll be very pleased I think. She's not on life support, she's just been a little abused.
Most of that you know..the cracked nose area..I'd use some of this, laminating the wood. Go full length if you can inside the fuselage after doing a repair to the wood itself. It will add strength without adding a bunch of weight..
https://gator-rc.com/deluxe-material...tem-no-dlmbd66.
The nose retract mount should be a full width ply, cut to the shape of the retract with a layup of additional ply as mounting rails. My guess is what you are seeing is the result of a hard landing and subsequent repair there.
if you do that, you could incorporate the servo mounts into that same ply, but you would have to look at how it affects the servos and what they control.
Those futaba's look like they been there a while, my suggestion is a new set of servos just for piece of mind.
If you can source a set of plans or someone who has the same bird, as a reference would be very good.
is the skin fiberglass? Or Monokote/ultrakote over a fully sheeted structure?

the dowel/tube set up on the wing is kind of typical. But, yeah, another set of dowels at the other end as added bit of security ain't a bad thing.

and the tygon....ditch that. Replumb it with Viton. You'll never have to do it again.
hope you get her back in top shape.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 12-09-2021 at 09:32 PM.