RCU Forums - View Single Post - Can you fly in 3 acres? Should I give up (or move house, lol)
Old 12-21-2021, 04:35 PM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well things have changed SO much. We did not have telemetry 40 years ago. We had a measuring device we used to measure receiver battery voltage. We use it before every flight. It was called an "expanded scale voltmeter". You may remember it. The ni-cads of 1980 would hold voltage for only so long and then drop straight to zero. Another thing we use to do (which is unnecessary now with the advancements in electronics) is when we would land we would adjust the trim controls back to neutral, and we would adjust the control surfaces on the plane to stay where they are. In other words with the trim controls in the neutral position the control surfaces on the plane were adjusted so the plane would fly straight and level

Since I am a vintage glow flyer I am very cognizant of flame-outs. I visited a quarter scale warbird fun fly a while ago and was saying that I always stand in front of the prop or behind the prop in case it comes apart. To my surprise one guy said they have had props come apart in the air and it will usually ruin the engine. So there is a safety tip. Yes props do come apart. This was a great bunch of South Carolina guys that made me feel welcome and right at home

Here is one of the model planes I admired. I took a photo of it

Last edited by Lee Taylor; 12-21-2021 at 04:49 PM.