RCU Forums - View Single Post - Introducing the TopRC Model Hawker Hunter - New Scale Jet
Old 01-12-2022, 06:26 AM
Edhamp

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am currently building one of these jets. There have been several revisions of the U/C since this model came out a few years ago. mostly I think to the electronics (better controllers) and motor (square casing on latest versions). I dont know if the material quality of legs have been improved. Mine look fairly well made, as good as others I have seen from China and the motors work well (I m using an Electron controller on mine without issues) allthough not as nice as Electrons. Only thing which would not help on grass and poor landings is that the springs supplied in main oleos were rock hard and with no give and little damping. I ve replaced mine and added some damping oil from BVM so they should work better, Time will tell.

On a couple fo other aspects of this model, we know the fuel tank is well forward of the CG. These days, smaller engines do not need so much room and in mine I am using Xicoy X120, I did away with all the inlet ducting so the tank can go back several cms (still in front of the cg but nowhere near as bad). Still plenty of space for air flow and perhaps even some useful drag when flying! Also I felt the large tank would be sufficient for my flying needs so unless you want the second tank for smoke/10 minutes plus flying then leave it out and save weight. My model balances with 0 weight added up front (main batteries foward, bubble trap full, landing fuel in tank). Final weight TBA but since some people have flown this model with an 80N I should be OK! Overall very impressed with this jet, excellent build quality for price (all airex rear is very light, under £2k with retracts, tank, tube etc etc) and unlike some more expensive models I have bought, things like the UC doors are well made and actually fit with no mods! I am pleased that Dave reports that it flies well overall and look forward to flying mine later this year,