RCU Forums - View Single Post - Patching a hole in super coverite
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2022, 03:52 PM
smilam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got a couple of other projects off the work bench and got started on patching the hole in the wing of the spacewalker. First I made the hole round to eliminate corners which become problematic in a lot of materials. When I did this I found a broken piece of balsa spar that had to be repaired and then sandwiched between a couple of pieces of lite ply. I scuffed the paint with sandpaper and then cleaned it with alcohol to get ride of any oils from my hands. Then I applied stikit around the hole and applied a coverite patch with about a 1/4” overlap over the hole. While ironing down the patch some adhesive bled out from under the patch so I need to clean that up before I paint it. Does anybody have a suggestion on what to use to clean up the adhesive? The stikit can says to use Butyrate Dope Thinner to thin the stikit which I don’t have. Is there anything else that will work? I may have to try putting some stikit on a piece of scrap coverite and try some alcohol, paint thinner, lacquer thinner, or acetone to see if anything works.