RCU Forums - View Single Post - A new scam on eBay?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2022, 05:20 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I just went through a bout of ebayitis. About a month back now I put up an item for sale for which I wanted a reserve type auction. The item didn't sell so ebay's MO is to auto-relist it. Sometime shortly after the first run I paid the listing fee. Then the fun began. My bank account was debited the amount, ebay's account status page showed my payment and that my balance was 0.

After the second listing iteration I pulled my item having had enough of ebay's Shenanigans.

Ebay began sending me messages that I still owned them the fee, and warned it would affect my account and I thought I can see that I paid it it must be a delay somewhere. In the meantime I placed bids of old Webra engine parts that I needed. The bid attempts failed becuase my account had been 'restricted'. Then the sessions with 'customer support' began.; first online then via phone. I would have had better luck speaking with fence posts and vegetables. I have never ever experienced such a low level of competence and utter lack of customer centric BS as I did on those calls. I was handed from one incompetent boob to another in in the end simply hung up on multiple times. At the end of the first series of calls I was told "I see the problem and I will fix it, don't worry. It will take 24-48 hours". Never happened. Still couldn't bid. Account status remained the same. So back again I called but in the meantime I sicced my Bank on ebay lodging a dispute on the payment that I'd made. The last time I called ebay customer support I was livid, not proud of my 'deportment' ( I would have pulled a 'Will Smith' if I could have) and the unfortunate CS guy again said he'd fix the problem 'don't worry' ( seems they're instructed to say that a lot) and he'd stay on the line while I placed a small bid on something I'd want. Happily it worked, finally.

I did play with the idea with leaving the payment dispute in place but I contacted my bank to remove it explaining the situation.

I did vow never, ever to sell anything on ebay again and only to buy things I really can't find anywhere else which is really reduced to old OEM parts for my engines and tools; perhaps raw materials, metric screws...

Ebay has long since been reduced to a monolithic, greedy faceless corporate sort that I hate to deal with.

Jerry