RCU Forums - View Single Post - Our hobby really needs a new Tank Control Board
Old 04-07-2022, 04:07 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie42
Rad thinks I have a non standard Elmod board , perhaps I should do reviews. Will post up the video latter, it’s on Bowlmans Elmod next generation thread. The inertia and brake can be combined for one or the other , if you look just focus on the red brake
light , and see the results. As for not wanting the tank to roll a centimetre or so, convert that to the real world and you are talking about braking distance for a tank at less than half a metre.
Ronnie, please, give up. Sure you can write reviews and you can make a zillion videos showing the brake light working, which indeed, works, but inertia cannot be disabled, not even if you combine it with the brake. Unless Elmod implements a "drop Titanic's anchor" option it does not work in any Elmod board. Contact "Madmike", he makes the sound sets for Elmod and he also told me is not possible to disable it, because that is how the board works with the soundsets and there is nothing we can do. His words, not mine. Besides I am using Elmod products for 5 years, tried everything and never worked, and there is nobody ever, who managed to disable it.

Again, even when the brakes are set to maximum and inertia to minimum, the tanks still rolls way too much, making them unusable for all those who do IR battles. Ask people that go there, I have heard first hand they call the Elmods easy prey and soon the owners end replacing the electronics. Here in this thread you see people experiencing the same issue with IBUs. Still, I don't battle, so I don't care. But still, sometimes I need to have absolute control of my toy, and with Elmod I cannot. I also installed one Elmod in a boat and it was unmaneoubrable (add water inertia plus Elmod inertia, go and figure). I don't care how a tank drives in real life, sometimes I need to disable it, and I think it is not so complicated to understand it.

As a silly example of needing to disable it, was a couple of months ago. We had like 1mm snow, no more than that, so I picked some tanks and the children and we started to "draw" with the tanks over that milimeter of snow. It was absolutelly impossible for me to do it with my Panzer IV with inertia to minimum and brakes to maximum. Then I picked one of the tank from my children, which had an Open panzer inside by the way, and it was a pleasure. That day, my Elmod went to Ebay, I had too much of it. That is the only reason that made me sell it, to be honest.

Another point that I always say, is, if I want inertia I don't even need any aftermarket board. I can have a deep config level just using the radio. Even the cheapest twin ESC can have exactly the same adjustable inertias as the Elmod if you know the how to with the radio, but if the inertia comes from the board and you cannot remove it, there is nothing you can do.

You talk about price, well, have you read both reviews? There is no real need in getting the big Beier unless a heavy tank (I mean a metal 1:6 scale) or so complex that, so far, I have never seen one, so the little version will suit almost everybody and it costs 239. Still very expensive IMHO but cheaper than Elmod, Tamiya, and I believe even than some Clark boards. That makes me return to the main topic, we need more hobby boards... which are cheaper to obtain! lol