RCU Forums - View Single Post - CARF REBEL 2m
Thread: CARF REBEL 2m
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2022, 09:39 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

In one of my planes, I had a similar interference with the wing bolts and smoke tank. I dumped the OEM's thumb screw type bolt and went to socket head bolts with washers glued on. Then I picked up a tiny ratchet wrench similar to this:
MulWark 20pc 1/4 Ultra Low Profile Mini Ratchet Wrench Close Quarters Screwdriver Set with High Torque - Right Angle EDC Tool with 90 Degree Mini Offset Reversible Drive Handle & Multi Hex Bits Set - - Amazon.com MulWark 20pc 1/4 Ultra Low Profile Mini Ratchet Wrench Close Quarters Screwdriver Set with High Torque - Right Angle EDC Tool with 90 Degree Mini Offset Reversible Drive Handle & Multi Hex Bits Set - - Amazon.com

But, when thinking about using smoke, below is a bit of caution from a past smoke user and CD:

IMHO, .. my experience has proven to me that unless your are an experienced "show performer" or a pro, smoke is a PITA, expensive and has a high degree of potential for an unnecessary mess to deal with. It frequently gets in the plane and that makes for a unsettling mess for pilots. Frequently, testing the system and filling smoke tanks screw up the asphalt and turf in the startup areas. Wait till the club, airport manager or a CD comes to you and tells you to clean up your mess. Or the event gets the boot from a borrowed or leased site because the event ruins the site's asphalt. Talk about being embarrassed! Or the smoke fluid dribbles out on your trailer floor or back inside the plane. Smoke is messy period! I have pilots who use drip pans when their planes are sitting on Pit Row. I have seen several planes internally flooded with smoke fluid. I have seen huge puddles from over-filling smoke tanks. I have even seen one pilot fill his fuel tank with smoke fluid. What a mess that turned out to be.

From a building perspective, how are you going to properly fasten a movable tank so that it does not flop around as you fly? It will be heavy and once the smoke fluid starts sloshing around, it can be a challenge to keep it removable and still fixed during flight. I tried smoke several times. For me, it turned out to be just another PITA. And then, when some less than courteous pilot with a really good smoke system cuts in front of you with smoke on while you are on final, @#$#%. Believe me there are a lot of these guys out there!

IMO as a CD for over 50 jet rallies and in the past a smoke user, ... Unless you are a "show performer" or a pro, smoke is just an expensive PITA. Also, many pilots are not skilled enough to avoid the messes or conflicts in the airspace when using smoke. After several years of my personal playing with it and watching others deal with it, I gave up on it.

Just food for thought! But to each his own. Have fun with it. But keep an eye/focused on the plane, vs. the smoke, when using it!