RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA getting above 400 AGL - Not so successful
Old 04-15-2022, 03:59 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
The problem is there are two GA Airfields that I'm aware of in the vicinity, one of which I mentioned in an earlier post. If I figure a Cessna 150/152 taking off 9 miles away, give it an actual ground speed of say 80MPH, that's 1.33 miles in a minute or 6.75 minutes to over the R/C field. If I were to fly from that airport in Monroe to another, 32 miles away in Darrington, I would be flying almost directly over that R/C field. As any pilot knows, at a uncontrolled airport(which all three mentioned are) it's the pilot's job to inform other pilots in the area as to what he's doing as well as looking for other aircraft AT THE SAME TIME as he's taking off or landing, configuring his aircraft to land or climb to his cruising altitude and contacting the local ATC center, if required. Since the R/C field is at a higher elevation than the GA fields close by, that Cessna pilot has to climb that much higher to stay above the 500-1000 foot AGL required by the FAA. That means the Cessna pilot doesn't really have much time to be looking for R/C aircraft while climbing over an R/C field that he may or may not know is even there.

Yet they have been in the same vicinity for decades. Maybe Franklin can invoke another FOIA to see how many near misses have been reported. That would certainly tell us more then your speculation. The two of you are starting to sound like the guys on the ground flying their models can’t see or hear any full scale approaching.