RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tomahawk Futura Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2022, 08:15 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by haisanjafri
Hi,

Acquired a Futura 2.5m V1 recently. Its having a white and red color scheme which isn't very eye catching. Planning to remove the paint with wet 600 grit emery paper. And then repaint the model Any tips from experts? I wish to accomplish this by adding minimum or none extra weight. Also planning to swap pneumatic gears with electron retracts combo.

Thanks
I have stripped several jet with the Orange Paint stripper from Lowes. I don't leave it on very long and use a plastic scraper, make sure you don't add any deep scratches. But The paint on these jets is very thin, I would wet sand the whole jet with 400 wet on any overlapping paint IE invasion's stripes, then wet sand the whole jet with 600.

The next step depends on your paint you will use, if you are going to paint yellow, you really need to put a white primmer down fist as yellow dose not cover very well and takes a lot of layers to look right.
I have use several different paint systems on my jets, from KlassCoat Epoxy paint, single stage automotive paint (already has clear in it), to base / clear.

I love KlassCoat as it very strong and chip and scratch resistance, but is also a single stage so comes out very shinny, but Im sure its a tad heavier than Base Clear but don't need a primer coat.

I use Base / Clear on most of my jets, I only use the base with no clear on war birds jets for nice semi/flat paint, and base clear on most jets as you can paint over and seal any decals nicely.

Single stage automotive paint is very easy to paint and looks nice not as shinny as Base Clear.

So if you really want to try to strip, do one bottom of elevator and weight it vs other elevator sanded with 600g

I have one of these 2.5m I hope to fly soon, Good luck.