RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fixing treads on a Tiger I
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2022, 05:09 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Since you ask, yes, I do have a bit of advice. Above you say you're still a newbie to the hobby, don't sweat that part, I've been doing this for almost ten years and I still feel like a newbie all the time. Next, check the website for Taigen Tanks and you'll find that Erik has some good how-to videos there for tracks, including a good one on removing pins and taking them apart. Next, it's always good to have matching tracks, sprockets and idlers, but if you're going to spend that much I think I would go ahead and get the Taigen lower hull. It has torsion bar suspension, adjustable track tension and is generally a much better hull than the heng long and you can usually get them for just about 60 to 90 bucks. Taigen is out of stock, but zanda has them here https://www.zandatoys.com/1-16-torro...ension-system/

But be sure to shop around as this may not be the best deal. Zanda is at least $10 more than Taigen, but Taigen is out of stock. I would check ebay, where you should be able to get a better price. But even at the 80 bucks zanda wants this is still one of the best upgrades you can make for your tank. With minor mods the heng long upper hull will mount just fine and then you'll also have a lift off top. For just a few bucks more than the idler adjust kit you can have a whole lower hull with adjustable track tension, torsion bars and metal suspension arms. But if you go his route I think the shoulder wheels would also have to be replaced, but I even have a set of spare plastic shoulder wheels around here somewhere so I could probably help there at no charge except whatever postage is involved. I usually just give parts away but I do ask guys to cover postage, just so you know.

Last, I almost missed this because you posted the thread in the war room. This thread is definitely worthy of the main menu since this is a common topic and this thread will probably be of help to a lot of newer members. But you did get lucky and the two other guys that caught this one are two of our finest modelers. Both Shaun and Paco have loads of experience and they're both good guys that wouldn't ever try to steer you wrong. But you probably would have gotten more response had you posted on the main board instead of in the war room.

I have five Tiger Ones myself and more spare parts than you can shake a very big stick at, so if you need anything send me a PM and we'll see if I can help. That's a good lookin' tank you have there, if I can help you make it better, well, that's the whole point, right? Make our tanks the best that we can, and watch out for those pesky Pershings!!