RCU Forums - View Single Post - JP hobby elec brake question
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2022, 06:17 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Frustrated by JP brakes again.
I got one flight on my F-16XL with JP brakes and controller today at FIF. Brakes were checked 5 times before flight. Twice in pits before starting and 3 times during taxi out and before take off. Brakes worked great. Jet flew great and landed very softly. Brakes were applied and there was nothing. Tried several times and nothing. Jet roll almost out of sight on runway and I shut off the turbine. After a few minutes I rode crash cart out to get the jet. Found it sitting still on all three gears so I switched off the jet. Rode crash cart back to the start area and put jet on ground. Both brakes were locked. Switched jet back on and cycled brakes then switched jet off. No change. Carried it back to pit tent and put it on ground. A few minutes later I removed cockpit tray and smelled smoke. JP brake controller shown in post # 10 was still powered, red light on, and was too hot to touch. I removed the battery connection to controller and the brakes unlocked. After cool down if battery was connected even with RC power switched off the brake controller red light would come on and the brakes would lock. The controller seems to be fried.
I don't know why the brakes worked every time at taxi speeds but did nothing at all at landing speeds. Also I have no idea why controller powers brakes when battery is connected. I fly mostly on grass and have not had no brakes like on pavement.
Very frustrated now with JP brakes. My jet weighs about 39-45 lbs depending on fuel.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Gary

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 05-28-2022 at 06:19 PM.