RCU Forums - View Single Post - nitro engine turbo
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2022, 08:57 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 1967brutus
Not to nitpick, but although supercharging is not possible in a ported 2-stroke, turbocharging IS... the turbine nozzle ring acts as an orifice and that makes it possible to boost a ported 2-stroke. I have worked with up to 25 psi boost in ported 2-strokes.
But it is basically only usable for engines with steady load and as little load variations as possible. It is totally unusable in any kind of "on demand" application.
In my line of work ported 2-strokes have gone the way of the dinosaur: about 30 years ago that I last worked on that one. That engine still exists, that ship currently is part of the US auxiliary fleet under the name USS Cape Knox and still has its original engine, but you won't find anything younger than that, I guess ...

That.... is totally true.
The first part of my post you quoted was aimed at our model engines specifically despite missing that connotation. I know bigger engines can be turbocharged - snowmobiles and such have been successfully turbocharged. That’s fact. Our little engines.... not so much for the reasons you already mentioned.