RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli 1/7 (120") B-25 B scale build
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2022, 09:28 PM
rossmick

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Commitment to finish B-25

I restart the build on the B-25. Since the post last year there has been changes in my design and power ideas. I decided to run some testbed planes using electric power. What I have decided is that for a large plane the weight and cost of using electric was not going to work for me. It was in early May that I, once again, got the B-25 off the shelf and began the build with the return to gas engines. In this case, and after an additional testbed aircraft, I will be using the RCGF 40cc twin. I have now made the decision to use all twin engines and get away from single cylinder power. What I found was the extreme reduction in vibration using the twins and with little cost in weight. In this case the 40cc even fits inside the cowl with room to spare. The 40 has performed extremely well on the testbed and has all the other members asking what is that engine. Also, I can get the engines just down the road and it is the repair facility if required.
I will start posting the photos from the start in May and try and catchup to my current build status with more photos than words. After looking at what I had built, I decided to rework many of the areas to improve my prior work. Amazing what you can see when you spend some time away from a project that needs to be changed or improved. So here it starts with the idea to finish the plane and not get diverted off on other projects.
Goals: Gas twin engine, keep weight a low as possible, relax on total scale demand, return to air powered retract from electric (that was an expensive mistake), design mid-section above the wing to be a more structural element of the build, trying to not use fiberglass to cover the skin and use oratex colored covering with drawn panel lines and rivets.
As of 10 May, Photos where it starts.

Fuselage in jig with center section. Thank goodness for the jig to keep it straight and true.

Stringers remove to straighten them.

Tail section without vertical fins.