RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electronic solutions to modifying glow engines of all sizes to gasoline
Old 07-01-2022, 01:26 PM
cmulder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile potentional conversion project

Bit of a background story
About 2 years ago i saw a ad in a national second hand site for a "shed clearout" pile of rc related parts.
Just pictures showing 2 crates with the parts.
I recognised some side frames and other parts for the raptor 30/50 helies i have.
The asking price for the whole batch was what i would pay for those parts alone
If there was any other things among it that where of us then that would be a bonus.

So agreed with the seller and one day he droped off the crates.
Lets say i was not disapointed...
The raptor parts where a almost complete kit still in there original bags.
Anyone old enough here might remeber a multiplex model called "smily"
The batch included a unbuild kit of that model.

It all had ben stored in a damp shed so all was verry dirty and most metal parts where corroded.
Judging at the average age of the items it could have been 15 years in storage

ANd then there was this;

The engine was totally stuck; no movement at all.
SO when i took it out and removd the backplate i found water inside....
WHat shoudl have been the bearrings was just a cruddy pile of rust.
Loads of wd40, later i was able to get most of the headscrews off and drilled of the heads of the others.
One snapped off flush so have to figure out later how to remove it.
Then i was able to push the liner up with a wooden stick from below.
With a lot of wigggeling the conrod came offf the crankpin so the piston was out too.
To my amazement there was no corrosion or any other damage to either the piston or the liner.
The piston pin (if that is how you call it) was stuck but was able to press it out and after a polish installed back in the piston and it feels smooth

The case with crankshaft was heated in the oven and placed on a wooden block.
A few hits with the heaviest hammer i own and the crankshaft came out with the rear bearing stuck to it and was also abl t push out the front bearring.
Could not get the rear bearring off any other way so cut in in half

So its needs new bearrings and once it runs (if?) this might be a posible conversion subject.
It has a small electric backup motor (originally with a switch controlled by servo...) so a stalled engine would not be a problem so a good testbed.

Thoughts?

Graupner Atlantic challanger