RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rear plate gasket for OS46FX
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2022, 12:31 PM
voyager_663rd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tedsander
If it has been carefully put back on, and the ripped portion mates up well, then I'd say "no". In general, even with a leak, it should definitely fire, although may not run, or more likely run poorly. But not even a "pop"? then it can only be one of three things:
1. The glow plug is not glowing, or barely glowing. Take it out, and in dimmer lighting, see how it looks when connected to the battery. A bright orange is what you want. Make sure you are using a washer when installing the glow plug.
2. Something preventing fuel flow. Time to check the carb, especially the high speed needle end, seat, passage for any gunk kicked loose from the cleaning method. I'd guess something in the spray bar, blocking the hole/slot in it.
3. Too much fuel, resulting in the engine flooding very quickly. Danger here using a starter, as hydraulic lock can happen, and the starter then bending connecting rods, etc. (almost all of us old guys have done it sometime in our past). Close the high speed needle. 2 to 2 1/2 turns open. Disconnect the fuel line. See if any pours out of the muffler when tipping it and turning the prop by hand. Take plug off, and use the starter to spin the engine (watch out for the spray that may hit you in the face!). Repeat a few times to make sure all excess is out. Put the plug back, reconnect the fuel line. Try to start.

Since you may be taking it out to check the carb, no issue making a gasket out of a business card....
1)glow plug new right out of the package (and installed with copper ring)
2)remote glow charger may be low (but also tried with a plug-in charger connected to power panel (in the "green" when connected).
3)too much fuel may be an issue but I turned over by hand b4 puttling the elec starter on it so wasn't concerned about fuel lock.

Fuel did pour out of muffler (tank was only 1/3 full when I started this exercise) as I probably over-primed but as said, prop turned freely by hand before putting the elec starter on it.

Hi-speed was out 1 1/2 turns so that might be it (tried at 2 turns during test but no pop, no nothing either but I'll richen it up more next attempt but AFTER ensuring it is empty of fuel. Then prime normally).

Thanks for the suggestions. Like Arnold said: I'll be back