RCU Forums - View Single Post - Difference between 'hot/cold' plugs?
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2022, 09:41 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 1967brutus
Do you have any info on how to differentiate between hot body and hot wire? Or is that just a matter of "this brand such and that brand so"? Because I cannot remember having seen that info listed by any of the name brands to be honest.

Also: to a certain extent, and this is more an "aero-engine" thing AFAIK, engine size (displacement) also does play a role according to some plug manufacturers, larger engines can do with colder plugs. At least, that is what Rossi says on their plug blister packaging. But that is more a rule of thumb.
The links I used to use are broken and no longer work. Since the Novarossi factory closed, so did their website which listed what the codes mean for their glow plugs. Picco is similar. I’ll give you what I know.

Picco plugs are coded P6S or P6TH depending on standard (S suffix) or Turbo Hot or Turbo Cold (TH or TC suffix). P for Picco, 6 for the heat range of the element (5 cold, 6 medium, 7 hot). TH or TC is the body of the plug - hot body for off road and cold body for onroad. TC suffixed plugs are significantly colder than TH plugs.

Novarossi - there is some contradictory information in decoding the glow plug designators on the internet, but since Nova closed, the good information is NLA. See attached image. Example C6TGC decoding - C for conical, 6 for wire size (heat range of wire) T for turbo (I was under the impression conical was the same meaning, but they’re Italian. Who knows. ) G for gold plated (they aren’t gold plated. Not sure about this designator either. ) C for hot body (Chaud). F for cold body (Fredda). Some of the standard plugs are gold plated - they will have a G suffix.

Its too bad these companies shut their sites down so quickly. There was good information about selecting glow plugs there, though Nova suggests picking a plug based on ambient air temp and not the fuel used as the primary factor, but that isn’t really how it should be done.

Also - I don’t believe any other companies do this with glow plugs. I have used hot and cold body plugs side by side and there is an immense difference in how they behave. The cold body plug needed the high side needle leaned a full turn from the hot body setting. (Picco plug, Picco engine). Warning: photos on this forum suck. They do not upload right, cannot be viewed fullsize, etc. I use a 3rd party host for images, but some things translate funny because of that. Hopefully you can read the image below.
Click image for larger version

Name:	70-E86-F4-F-288-D-4-B5-A-AE15-11-B8-A59853-EB.png
Views:	31
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	2271980

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 07-10-2022 at 09:50 AM.