RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rear plate gasket for OS46FX
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2022, 05:02 AM
voyager_663rd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tedsander
You have a leak and/or shot compression. See if sealing helps. Make sure all screws are tight, especially the head. "ABC" engines have no ring, and depend on critical clearances when at running temp to give correct compression. Turned over slowly they may feel like they only have a little, spun faster and they feel better. Are best after they have been started and are up to temp. BUT, also easy to run too hot, or a myriad of other issues, that scores the piston/liner, in which case they never will have enough compression.

Hopefully the gasket will resolve the issue, then you can have a more dependable needle setting to resolve the too rich/flooding issue. And running leaner may help with the plug issue - may be a bad plug, or it may be just too much fuel putting the fire out. But the needle won't adjust right until any possible leaks/compression issues are resolved.
Don't think the head is the issue here. Maybe.

When I did the anti-freeze clean, I removed the back plate, gasket (that's when it tore but only one rip) and carb. Can't remember if there's a carb gasket/o-ring or not. The plug I'm using is fresh out of the package.

I did not remove the head. I don't believe that warm anti-freeze would damage the head gasket. OR would it? OTOH, reading elsewhere on "another forum: , there is no need for a head gasket on air cooled engine (such as this 46). So I dunno

Last edited by voyager_663rd; 07-16-2022 at 06:11 AM.