RCU Forums - View Single Post - Crickets....
Thread: Crickets....
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2022, 06:00 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I think you hit on the main difference, size. Then we have different flight times. R/C aircraft flight times range anywhere from a couple minutes to a couple hours. Can you fly a rocket BLOS? Is the general public developing a fear of model rockets? Does the DOD have issues with model rockets?

Not really a direct comparison IMO. Don’t get me wrong, I think the AMA could be doing a better job. They are stuck in old school thinking. But then again 90% of their membership is old school. They gambled on “ forced “ membership and pushed the FAA to make a decision if membership was required. Think about what would have happened had membership been required. Would RFID been required if everyone were flying from FRIAs? Sure, it saves them $85 plus club dues but how much are a couple RFID modules going to cost? Could it be said that the “ Park fliers “ without a structured training program suffer more crashes? Plausible?
We hold a waiver to 15,000 feet. I deal with the FAA monthly when we fly to activate a NOTAM. Just who as a recreational flying is flying for a "couple of hours" . Let's keep this in perspective "Public fear" driven by the government. Now that crap started when the drone craze started back a few years. 99% of those sold were either crashed on the first flight or sit in closets across the country. The AMA jumped thinking it would swell the membership and they were wrong. My whole point is NAR and Tripoli smaller organizations ( and IMO better run) seem to work with the powers to be and get us what we need to fly rockets. Time will tell how this pans out. I'm very interested to see just how this whole FRIA thing is handled. Just my 2 cents.

Mike