RCU Forums - View Single Post - Modern Armor in Action
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2022, 08:21 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Modern Armor in Action

Hi Guys, without getting into the politics, I'd like to start a conversation about the images we've been seeing coming out of Ukraine. There are a ton of videos on youtube and I'm thinking some of this stuff might make for good RC projects, especially the BM-21 rocket launcher truck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bkL7uMa.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	2272029

I've looked into this, and I think the cab from a Ural might make a good start, I could probably scratch build the rocket launcher part, and if I use the cheap 1/4 inch bottle rockets it's perfectly legal where I live (I checked with my local cops and they say as long as I don't intentionally try to hit anyone or destroy anyone's property I'm not breaking any laws). I'll have to figure out fuses and all that, and naturally any tests would have to be performed responsibly and with serious caution, but I can't get arrested for building it. Now, that's in Detroit, you guys would have to investigate the laws and ordnances where you live. If you're in the UK I'd say there ain't a snowball's chance of doing it legally, but I can't do much about that except sympathize with ya.

It's also become obvious that drones are going to be a huge factor in conventional warfare from here on out. I couldn't build a functional drone that small, but I can see some cool dioramas involving the guys that use the drones, and maybe a couple support trucks?

In it's day the T-72 was a real badass, but I doubt the guys that designed it ever foresaw tiny little drones dropping a high-power grenade and if hit in just the right spot ... Kablooey!! I saw one video (this one wasn't a drone strike, looked like a LAW or TOW) that must have sent the entire turret at least 20 meters into the air. I've always been into dioramas that could be simply displayed on an RC battlefield, and I can see some interesting T-72 wrecks that shouldn't be that hard to build. Sometimes I see tanks on ebay sold at very good prices because they have no electronics, one of those might make a good start and not break the bank.

So what do you guys think? Have you seen anything besides the bm21 that might make a good RC project?