RCU Forums - View Single Post - Re-Honing Piston Liner (Ringed)
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 12:48 AM
Eastflight

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1967brutus
Depends on what the liner material is and whether there is a coating of sorts. If it is plain steel, no problems, I do that all the time. Cross-hatch at an angle of between 45 and 60 degrees off the cylinder axis, not very critical. Won't hurt a bit unless you overdo it.
Can be done with some emery cloth and the plain old simple finger Mk 1.0
If it is a chromed liner, you have to be a bit more careful but can be done too. If you do, I would suggest using a honing tool like what you can buy to recondition brake caliper cylinder bores. Chances are a chromed liner is cross-hatched from factory and if so, most likely it is still intact. Then don't touch it.

If it is a Nikasil coating, ditto, the crosshatching most likely will still be there (one of my previous cars had that and the pattern was still visible all around the bore after 200K+ kilometres ((125K mi) I would not touch those. Nikasil is very rare in Model Engines.
But if it is an electroplated nickel coating, I would not touch it... Way too sensitive and/or fragile. Although chances are, with that type of coating the engine would not have a ringed piston to begin with and those sets are replaced as piston and liner matched sets.
Thanks Brutus for the info. I guess I'd better start doing this procedure on my future overhauls.
I Had this done on my car engine but didn't think it was necessary on these little boys!!