RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electronic solutions to modifying glow engines of all sizes to gasoline
Old 08-08-2022, 08:04 PM
Cat 1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Got out flying tonite and got to try the Skinny bore carb on the ST.45. Magic!!! - Power might be down a bit, but I propped down to a 10X6, got the revs up and I think it as powerful as all but of a few of the .40 size glow engines I use to run. Not typical .45 power but a good solid sport .40 performance. Throttle transition is great and great response from long extended (cool right down) idles. Got some video but haven't processed it yet - It was super windy and I have to take out some content so you all don't think less of me ..

All in all the bore reduction project was a successful experiment in my books - Took away the need to leave very rich to insure good in flight mixture - I'm still on the rich side and sneaking down slowly as I'm a bit gun-shy from the big bore setup.. mixture is very "non-critical" now - still a little touchy around idle but very much improved.

I did notice one thing while playing with idle mix - You must be on the rich side of the "curve" almost to the point where you think it might be loading up a bit. When the engine is hot (just throttled back) it might seem a bit rich and leaning helps it run "better" but as the engine temp drops it need the extra fuel to maintain idle. Its understandable - but not an effect usually noted on a glow engine.