RCU Forums - View Single Post - UMS Gas Radial Engine Enthusiasts Rabbit Hole
Old 08-10-2022, 06:19 AM
Hyjinx

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 1967brutus
With all due respect, that is NOT an effective baffle.... It is better than nothing, but all it will do is force the cooling air to "touch" the fins at the location of the baffle. As soon as the air has passed through that restriction, it is going to spread out in the wide open space behind the baffle and lose its velocity AND its incentive to follow the fins.

For a proper and effective baffle, you will have to "tunnel" the cylinders such that the air has to stay in contact with the fins.

Attachment 2272128

Attachment 2272129

Attachment 2272130

Attachment 2272131

Attachment 2272132

It looks like an awful lot of work and extremely fragile, but it surprised me that I built the entire thing out of 2mm Balsa in about 2~2,5 hours using simple quick drying Aliphatic glue. Just cut and paste as you go along, really straightforward.
The thing looks absolutely filigrane and fragile, so it surprised me a 2nd time that once it was fixated in the cowling, the whole thing was pretty much rocksolid while weighing next to nothing (it added some 50 grammes to the cowling all in all).
And that is including a thin coat of Epoxy resin to oil-proof it, and a single coat of matt black paint.
Very Nice work Sir!