RCU Forums - View Single Post - Question on use of GYRO
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2022, 08:27 AM
Navy_Flyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question on use of GYRO

Old guy here, been flying RC since 1976... yeah, I know...

Just bought an HG3XA 3-axis gyro in hopes it would help me fly a very unfriendly scale biplane - LOTS of adverse yaw and directional instability on takeoff. I've already dialed in differential ailerons which helps, and I've programmed a little rudder mix with ailerons, but the enjoyment factor flying this plane is,, um.... nil. It's always a knee-knocker and white knuckle. Now, not to degrade my abilities, I've flown them all large and small gas and nitro, scale, sport and fun. But this plane is a bear to fly. Straight and level is OK, but make a turn and the heart race and knee shaking begin. It's always a fight. Been successful so far getting it up and down in one piece a half-dozen times.
I read about these gyros to assist with wind, stability (to a point), etc. and I want to put it in the biplane to see if I can mitigate the bad flight characteristics somewhat, or just make it a wall-hanger. Question for the gyro crowd - in HEADING HOLD mode, when making inputs, say to turn, and release the sticks, will the plane then maintain that last heading/attitude once you release the sticks, or return to the heading/attitude it was at when you first engaged heading hold? The destructions do not say. In Normal mode, I get the control buffering to smooth out the flight overall. But wondering about heading hold mode.

Last edited by Navy_Flyer; 08-15-2022 at 08:32 AM.