RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electronic solutions to modifying glow engines of all sizes to gasoline
Old 09-27-2022, 07:17 PM
Cat 1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
I started to do pressure testing the 220 with check valves this morning but took them back out in one last attempt to get the engine running right with muffler pressure only. 3 hours of adjusting and readjusting the needles and fuel curve until I got the flattest fuel curve possible and.........although not as bad as before, same thing, with the fuel ch tied to the throttle channel output; coughing out on throttle up. The best transition was with the mixture set rich enough to drop some rpm i.e. too rich. There is no way the engine will transition consistanly with the curve points set any leaner. Still, a 2 second throttle slowdown is required to keep the engine from lean coughing on transition and it will still cough out if the rpm is left in one place long enough for the tank pressure to equalize (drop). This is why I want more tank pressure,to make the solenoid deliver fuel with more authority when opened. I can see now why Chris's pump works so well, not that I'm going there.

So I'm back where I started, no surprise really. I just wanted to catch up on the project because I've been away from it too long. I will try the fuel channel tied to the throttle stick next, leading the throttle opening slightly with fuel delivery.
Lonnie, Not sure what your curve looked like before but here is an idea - Just an Idea... What if you set the needles to have a low pulse width on the bottom and a long one on the top - the opposite of your flat curve - My single jet setups seem to tend this way (prior to E-pressure) - I'm wondering if the engine would transition better as the solenoid is doing more work and the carb metering less. If your curve is flat the carb tuning is doing the majority of the work - the electronic piece is less responsive in my mind.. I know the theory is a little "rough" but I would ty to see if it made a difference.

Last edited by Cat 1; 09-27-2022 at 07:18 PM. Reason: added clarity