RCU Forums - View Single Post - Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2022, 02:09 PM
Agrav8ed

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Todd
About removing the magnets in the JP wheels:

I removed mine because it was taking a lot of power to get the disks off the magnets. Then once they separated, the brakes would lock up on my Ultraflash. The heavier the plane, the less effect the magnets have on braking. This snapping off the magnets would cause a skid and my light plane would dance around and the stop would take a long rollout because I had to cycle the brakes on and off, etc. Once I took the magnets out of the wheels, the brakes stopped locking up. With the magnets out and an LGC15 the Ultraflash would stop on a dime with no dancing around, etc. I also took the magnets out on the T1. However, ...

After a couple hundred flights on each of those planes, both of these planes eventually wore the soft coating off the brake magnets and wound up having a metal-to-metal contact between the brake magnet and the disk. The disk's surfaces were severely scored. So, I ordered what I thought were replacement tire/wheel/brake assemblies from Hobby-China/JP. The new assemblies did NOT have disks. They have several magnets mounted inside the hub that do not make contact with the rotor. I had to bump up the max power a bit to get them to work the same. But they worked well. I ended up using these new style brakes on several of my planes.
Any pics of the new brakes?
thanks,
Tone
The following users liked this post:
Tip22v (11-16-2022)