RCU Forums - View Single Post - Rochobby Willys Jeep, 1/6 scale RC
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2022, 12:03 PM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Nick! I didn't like the 'shiney, new' color of my jeep either so I took the body off, took the jerry can, spare tire, tools, steering wheel off. I unscrewed the seat frames out and unscrewed the fabric seat off. I gently popped out the windshields and cut rough round masking tape to go over the fender light and over the rear corner reflectors as well as the dash gauges. I stuffed paper towel in the grill over the headlights. Taped over the cargo box in the rear. I quickly lightly sanded over the large white markings just to give the OD something to grab.

I didn't use primer, I just sprayed OD 319 on the body because I had a can of 319 left over from painting a Sherman. I used masking tape on the five wheels (didn't take the mounted ones off), quickly cut tape around the rims and sprayed'em. I shoved paper towel around the electrics between the frame rails and sprayed the diffs, shocks, and frame where they can be seen. I figure if they get scratched the scratch will be darker and show usage!

I painted over the unit markings but I've been looking at the those '1/6 scale jeep stencils' on ebay but they're pricey... in WWII pictures a lot of jeep marking have been covered so I'm figuring IF I want to get stencils I might do that later (maybe the price will come down.)

I'm going to build a Pershing this spring so I've ordered in some OD 34087 because it has more 'brown' color and I like it that OD color. I get the BIG cans of 319 & 34087 WWII OD on ebay ($9.50 ea.). I still have to weather it and 'rough' the corners up some but I have all winter to do that.

Last edited by Old MSgt; 12-04-2022 at 02:55 PM.