RCU Forums - View Single Post - Xicoy - LG15 Gyro Controlled Brakes
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2022, 06:59 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

In the past, I too struggled with not having enough channels for running the jets. Then one day, I figured out that given the cost of the plane, why was I froggin' around with the less capable receivers. For the Jets I always get at least 14 channel equipment (usually 18 and sometimes 20 depending on availability.) I may only use 12 of them but for the small extra cost, I can later add things like Nav lights, and have landing lights turn on automatically when the gear drops, etc. Extra channels allow fine tuning the control surfaces too (e.g. Flaps, Aile differential, etc.) Also, I frequently find that when you start tying various operations to the same switches, you may need to reverse a channel that also has to be normal for another operation (e.g. gear and landing light controller.) I know that various brands and combinations of different branded components sometimes limit us. But that is when I start to question the brands I am using for jets. I also look at availability of products and usually end up keeping at least one spare of the harder to get items. A spare helps a lot when troubleshooting, and I can use it in the next build w/o waiting for it, should it be hard to get at the time.

For a gyro on the nose wheel, I just use the LGC. Even if you Y off the Rxer's rudder output to the Cortex and go directly into the LGC's Steer In, it works great. The LGC has the offset for fine tuning the steering too. There is also a gyro gain adjustment in the LGC. Or, mix to that a different channel in the Txer and feed it to the LGC. When using a buss system things can get lighter. But they also can get more complex too. I try to KISS & have fun!