RCU Forums - View Single Post - "3D Waiver"?
Thread: "3D Waiver"?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2003, 10:35 PM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How about a "3D Waiver"?

You guys need to do everything in your power to AVOID having to get a waiver. In hind sight, if I would have known what I know, now things in the jet community would be a LOT different.

I was the first JPO (Jet Pilots' Organization) Representative for District V. JPO was formed by Ralph Bailey to unite jet modelers. Ducted fans were the rule---Turbines were still in the experimental stages. Then along came the JPX T-240 turbine. As close as I recall this was the first commercially available turbine engine available to modelers. This engine ran on very volatile fuel (propane) and was entirely controlled by mechanical means rather than an ECU as todays' turbines are controlled. It was up to the user to properly set the max rpm, throttle curve, and to safely control the fueling/startup proceedure. Some of the worlds' best flyers had this little turbine in their possesion----Terry Nitsch and Bob Violett come to mind. It didn't take long for "Turbine Fever" to take hold with many ducted fan pilots buying the JPX engine.

Soon, word got out that there were a few modelers with more "bucks than ability", and a few others from other facets of our hobby that have never flown a high performance aircraft, buying turbines. The AMA asked the JPO to do a turbine study to see if the new turbines were safe for an EXPERIENCED jet modeler to own. Credit Del Ellis for his work in this area. So that every turbine modeler would be on the same page, a list of rules were developed to ensure safe turbine flying from startup to shutdown. The only fly in the buttermilk was the issue of modelers that were completely inexperienced in building, rigging, maintaining, and flying a high performance aircraft. Hence, a waiver system was developed.

For the most part, the jet waiver system has done its' job. There have been a few that have slipped through the cracks but those individuals now are being watched very carefully. The problem jet modelers now have is OVER regulation. Many things have changed over the years....Propane fueled turbines are no longer commercially made. Turbines now start with a flick of a TX switch. Wet starts are now very rare due to ECU controlled starts. All in all, turbine technology has progressed to the point that our engines are very trouble free and EXTREMELY safe.

When "we", as jet modelers, say we would like to see some of the rules relaxed it is for good reason. Although the JPO has made recommendations, the AMA has imposed some rules that were very detrimental to jets, especially the larger twins. Power was restricted to the point that if you did have a flame out you would be very lucky to get your jet back on the remaining engine....Even at full power. I won't go into all of the details of the rest of the problems but this is a good example.

The main argument over one of the latest potential new rules is the requirement for ALL jets to have a speed limiter. At first glance this may seem like a good idea. If you know anything about jets it is a nightmare. First of all there is only one commercial turbine company that offers a speed limiter. The only other speed limiter available is an aftermarket item made by a company that doesn't even produce turbines!!! It the jet forum there have been a few examples of guys that have used the aftermarket speed limiter.....One guy blames a crash on his limiter and several others have stated how theirs didn't work properly, potentially causing a crash. The main complaint of the limiter is that when the limiter "kicks in", the turbine is radically throttled back and the return of control to the pilot is so long that the model can get dangerously slow!!! Would you want THAT on your model???

The problem we have is one man in the AMA dictating rules over a facet of the hobby he knows nothing about. No tests have been conducted to see if speed limiters are even compatable with all of our commercially available turbines. He just wants it done....Period.

Get the picture??? Run as fast as you can from this type of ignorant regulation.

Kevin