RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/18 chassis build need motor/gearing and tires for
Old 02-16-2023, 09:51 PM
testfly

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The track is almost ready

1" thin wall PVC was used for the outside walls. I am not sure if I will use the Yellow wall yet or not. It is just laying where you see it so that it is out of the way for now.
I may attach it to the fence so if a car jumps the PVC pipe it can hit the plastic wall before it gets to the wire fence.

Here you can see the timing bridge. The top is a 1x2x8 PT. It is stored out of the weather when the track is not being used. It lifts off the post using no tools.
The scoring pickups are mounted to the bottom of the 1x2 and so far the timing system has not missed a lap.

After turning a lot of hot laps today I think I will do all of the inside wall with the 1" thin wall PVC and not use the small hose at all.
I will heat the 1" pipe before bending the tighter turns. There was no need to heat the PVC pipe when I put it down for the outside walls.

NOTE: The holes you see in the concrete were used with the G scale train layout that I had poured the concrete for almost 30 years ago.I will cover the holes before the racing starts.

I cut, heated and formed the 1" thin wall PVC inside walls tonight and will secure them tomorrow. Though it was dark, I did get a few pictures of the layout.

Here is a look at the longer track design. It should have a good flow to it. The start/finish line is the bright white mark at top right.

Here is a look at the inside wall that is removable. Having it in place adds a 90 degree left turn and 28' to the race center line.

The blue line shows the inside wall flow and you can see that I have the wall seam set well inside the wall flow line. The red line shows the inside wall that can be removed
to change the track layout to the Oval for a little faster race.

The inside wall seam is set back so it is not likely a car would ever hit that wall seam. Red is race flow and the Blue line shows how much the seam is set back from it.

Here is a look at the other wall seam of the removable inside wall. This seam runs with the race flow so there was no need for any set back.

Here is a look at the Oval layout with the removable wall removed. I will be removing the hose you see laying inside the PVC inside wall.

I am looking forward to seeing a Sprint car running on the Oval layout. That is the only reason I wanted to have an Oval layout. So now I have to design a sprint car for sure.

The cars look & run great and at 6' wide the track is the perfect size for them. I will get a few pictures of the track before it gets dark tomorrow.