RCU Forums - View Single Post - Saito's New Engine: FG-90R3
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2023, 08:48 PM
1967brutus

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardGee
Saito does provide fuel consumption for some of their gas four stroke singles, just not their multi-cylinder engines. Example: The FG-40 consumes 30cc/minute @ 7500 rpm
Well, your calculation is about what I assumed from Jaketab's post and the 'mileage' he was getting from the tank in his Zero.
I do find 1.5 ounces a minute at WOT to probably be about right.
I am not a big fan of running radials WOT for any length of time on the test bench, which is why I didn't (or haven't) measured consumption myself.
The issue of fuel consumption is important based on a number of limiting factors with my current tank install.
I get what you're saying, but I cannot say anything about Saito's decision not to provide that consumption info.
No fan of running radials at WOT on the ground either, but if this helps:
If you can do a decent peak RPM measurement, take a good propcalculator and check what output that translates to. Use output in kW (HP x 0,735)
Your engine will by and large (generally accepted rule of thumb for a naturally aspirated gasoline engine) consume 300 grammes of fuel (not counting the oil) per kW per hour.
That converts to 14,1 oz per hp per hour.

I just checked Saito's specs on that engine and Saito claims the engine can produce 6 hp, so that would suggest it is capable of consuming about 84~85 oz of gas per hour, excluding the oil. At 20:1 that would mean we need to add some 4,25 oz to that, and then we are pretty close to the 90 oz I estimated earlier. I only have to retract the "give or take"... Consumption could be less (depending on propsize and throttle regime), but most likely not more than 90 oz per hour.

Last edited by 1967brutus; 03-10-2023 at 03:59 AM.