RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electronic solutions to modifying glow engines of all sizes to gasoline
Old 03-19-2023, 10:39 AM
1967brutus

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Raleighcopter
Indeed, and I question most people saying they run well without modifying the carb or using some sort of method to control the middle mixture.
Not really... I can show you at least 2 vids of unmodified glow carbs that ran perfectly fine in the air, and at least one other that ran perfectly fine on the bench (but rather crap in the air).
I mean, it is NOT impossible, and it also depends on how fastidious one is WRT running behaviour.
I am a bit extreme in that. Not so much the running behaviour itself (I can live with a less than stellar throttle response) but I am extremely picky when it comes to the "quality of the combustion". I hate black crap coming from the crankcase drain, and I hate cleaning piston crowns.

I do not question those people, but not everybody has the same definition of "running well".

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
They do run well........At idle and at 60%-100% throttle. If that's where you fly, all good.

I picked up a Saito 120 fathead, the one with that splended air bleed carb that has a midrange adjustment. I'm going to play with it to see if I can widen the throttle range that it runs well with gas.
I have heard, that those carbs, due to their midrange adjustment, tune "fairly well" for gasoline. Not like the solenoid, but acceptable for applications where demands are not too high.
The engine itself is even pretty good on gasoline, pretty decent heat dissipation.

Last edited by 1967brutus; 03-19-2023 at 10:41 AM.