RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electronic solutions to modifying glow engines of all sizes to gasoline
Old 03-21-2023, 01:11 PM
1967brutus

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
Then again, I've not had a chance to fly any of these conversions yet.
As far as I have been able to determine, the difference between groundruns and flying does not affect the shape of the curve. It might highlight a lean spot (making it more noticable) but it is not like suddenly midrange has to be noticably difference. Most of the times, if you have a good curve on the ground, one click richer on the HS needle shifts the entire mixture range to where it needs to be for flight.

Originally Posted by Glowgeek
So, I try to land the lsn and hsn where equal amounts of movement, up and down on the curve, results in reasonably equal changes in rpm.
Dang! You have beaten me at my own game! Never thought of that (and therefore never consciously tried that) but that principle immediately landed in my mind and clicked in place. I think you have a very good groundrule there.
Looking back I think that is where I usually ended up, but I think it is a pretty good way to check whether you're on the right track with the needle setting.

Last edited by 1967brutus; 03-21-2023 at 01:16 PM.